Lets talk about a little something called meal prep. With out a doubt one of the makes or breaks when it comes to improving your health, and yes there is more to it than posting #healthyeating photos on Instagram.
First let me explain what I mean by meal prep and how you should go about it.
The idea is simple. Plan and prepare all the food (and the only food) that you are to consume for the day. This is usually done 3-4 days at a time so as the food you prepare doesn't go bad, but extra meals can always be frozen to extend the amount of days you can prepare for at once.
Here is our top 5 reasons why you should start meal prepping TODAY!
- Meal prepping saves money. Plain and simple. I want you to have a think about how much you'd spend buying lunch. $10-$15 a meal sound about right? Well over your working week odds are you're racking up $50-$75 and more in overpriced food. By preparing your meals I can guarantee that you can half the amount of money you spend.
- Fueling your body with clean and nutrient rich food is rated pretty high for me. That's why choosing a self prepared meal over take out is always a better choice in my books. You know exactly what you're consuming. So as long as you've put the effort in to choosing whole, organic, unprocessed foods for your meals, you will start seeing and feeling the results of your healthy new habit in no time.
- Preparing and planning your meals will give you more time to spend on the things that matter. You know that feeling when you realise you need to make a quick dash to the shops because you've forgotten to buy an ingredient for dinner? Or when you just get home from work, tired and hungry only to realise there is no food to eat? Avoid the stress all together by planning your meals at the start of the week.
- Avoid the temptation of the unhealthy option. I don't know how many times I've heard clients say the only time they slip up with their eating is when they are around co-workers who stock unhealthy snacks in the office. Eliminate the temptation by preparing healthy, wholesome snacks at home.
- Expand your knowledge. Probably the most important benefit of all. I believe that the more you learn the better off you will be. By preparing your meals and taking the time to understand what benefits or detriments the foods your consume will have on you, the better off you will be. Knowledge is power so always look to learn by doing the research or asking a credible professional like my self or our Naturopath Emma.
Remember this is not going to be perfect the first time you do it. Trial and error is ok. The more you practice, the more efficient you will become so go stock up on your Tupperware, lock in your weekly day/s you want to prepare on and get started.